Tuesday, September 20, 2011

To Run or Not to Run

I work in Sales. When you work in Sales, every 4 years or so, your company may get all of the sales team together for a National Sales meeting. Ours will be in San Antonio this year. I have never been to Texas. I don't have any huge desire to visit Texas either (maybe Austin). Not that I hate Texas, it just doesn't jump out at me.

It's very easy to deviate your corporate flight back and visit someone or extend your stay in a city. Your company usually just charges you for any extra cost they incur. So I started my search to see what was in the area during my stay. Football? Nope. Concert? Not really. All I know about San Antonio is it's home to the Alamo.

So I try one more search and see what races are being run on Sunday, the only real day I have available. I thought it might be a long shot but what do I find? The Rock n' Roll San Antonio Marathon. But I can't run a marathon. I have only run a half Marathon and I only have about 8 weeks before the race. I decide to check a training guide anyway.

I look for the full marathon training run and how many weeks it takes to finish the rest of the training. 8 weeks. So maybe it can be done. I'd have to stick to my training. Consistency has been something I've lacked with all of the summer weddings monopolizing my weekends.

I decide to casually give it a try. I would do the training and test the water to see if I was ready to up my mileage. I don't have to commit to signing up or changing my travel for a couple weeks so why not give it a shot. When I share this idea of casually training for a Marathon my friends tell me I am foolish. My friends tell me the laid back approach won't be a successful one.

The real reason I stay casual is to avoid a let down if I fail or if my body fails me. Then some of the doubts start to creep in as people bring them up. You've only been running for 6 months. Big guys like us aren't supposed to run that long. You realize you will be running for over five and a half hours right? You don't know anyone in San Antonio to support you or even cheer you on. You will be coming off of 5 intense days of tiring corporate training days. And the list goes on and on.

My mind is made up. I will finish a marathon in November. It may not be pretty. It may not be ideal. But I will finish.

1 comment:

  1. I love your determination. You are the runner, so you know whether or not you can handle the marathon. Friends mean well, but if we listened to our friends... you get my point.

    I think you made a good call, now get to running!

    ReplyDelete