Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Stinky Feet Challenge

I was poking around on the Facebook page of my sponsor, Smartwool, when I saw a response to a customer asking questions about the durability of the socks. The response mentioned that Smartwool socks can be worn for consecutive days without stinking. That 5 days isn't unheard of at the corporate offices.
I thought this was hyperbole. Maybe a tongue in cheek comment about the laid back ski town culture at the corporate office. So I decided to do a test of my own. I recently got the Hiking Ultra Light Crew. They are brown so they can pass for work and play.
I started off thinking these socks stood no chance. My feet smell bad. Really bad. In college a girl told me she considered not dating me because my feet smelled so bad. My wife also mentioned it as a hurdle when we started dating. As an RA in college the residents on my floor would mention that my shoes stunk up the hallway as they walked by. As you can imagine, it was pretty embarrassing growing up with sweaty stinky feet.
So I decided to set the rules. I'd wear them all day except when I went for a run (I like my running socks and didn't want to change anything). I don't sleep in socks so they would get a breather then. I decided the impartial judge would be my neat freak wife. She was not happy with this newly appointed role but she begrudgingly accepted the position.
Day 1- She slowly approached the socks and sniffed with the socks a few inches away from her face. After smelling nothing she put the socks to her nose and ruled... "I got nothing."
Day 2- I took my socks off after 2 days of working in unventilated dress shoes. A recipe for funk. Again she slowly approaches them, moves in for a better smell... "Nothing."
Day 3- I take them off and let her know its time to smell. She fearlessly buries her nose in the socks and says "Still good."
Day 4- She gives them a smell and decides "Just barely. I can kinda tell you've worn them."
Day 5- No judge needed. I smell them and decide to they are officially dirty. I love Smartwool but it's not worth sleeping on the couch over.
We were both pretty shocked. Day 4 smelled like 20 minutes would in my old cotton socks. We decided a family member might be getting a pair in his Easter Basket this year. So being in sales I can't help but think about the benefits of Smartwool socks;
1. They're So Soft- I refuse to wear any other sock.
2. Conserve Water- Wool can help you cut your laundry load to 1/5 of what it is. If socks last 5 days who knows how long pants and shirts could go.
3. Confidence- Now you can kick your shoes off without making your date's eyes water.
4. Great Gift- You can give them to your husband or wife and enjoy their feet not smelling. Now you both get a great gift.
5. Durability- They don't wear out and a satisfaction guarantee means you'll always be happy (Unlike my dryer that went out after 2.5 years. Can you tell it's still kind of a sore spot)
I challenge you to do the Stinky Sock Challenge and see how long they last for you.

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete